The Golden Compass  

Friday, March 23, 2007

The Golden Compass: His Dark Materials, Book 1
By Philip Pullman, 1997

You should know
I really didn’t set off to buy this book. I had a coupon for 25% off one item of $10 or more – so I wanted to find an interesting-looking book that was as close to $10 as possible without going under. What can I say? I had fallen hard on the ice twice in two days. I wanted a book and a beer.

So?
It took me a little bit to get into it: Lyra and her closest friends tend to use terrible grammar.

Anyway. Lyra is a young girl raised in a prominent British university in a parallel universe. Odds are, that description will either intrigue you or turn you off. If it’s the latter, I can tell you right now, you won’t enjoy this book.

I, however, belong to the former group.

As children in Lyra’s community disappear, Lyra begins to learn more about her parents’ identities and her own place in the world. She is given an alethiometer – the title object – and begins an adventure that allies her with witches, nomads, talking bears, and Texans. In the process, she learns about the mysterious, controversial Dust, and just what it has to do with the missing children.

Rating
Read it if…
…My description sounds remotely interesting. If it doesn’t, though, you’re right in not bothering.

The rest of the Internet
It’s coming to theaters this December.
A review of the book at Epiphyte.
A fansite for the trilogy.
The LibraryThing page.
David Louis Edelman was disappointed by the trilogy.
Sega unveils the video game.
Philip Pullman's website.

Email this post

Post a Comment

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster