SoulFire  

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

SoulFire
182 Harvard Avenue
Allston, MA

You should know
I know, I missed two weeks. Job interviews, travel, illness, and computer problems are all good reasons, but sorry excuses. Believe me, I will make it up to you.

I was in Boston visiting Chris. This is one of his favorite places.

So?
That day, we hit a two-for-one deal on pulled pork sandwiches ($6), which we got with a side of potato salad. We split a house salad ($5).

The sandwiches were much bigger than I expected; I couldn’t finish mine. It was delicious; the restaurant has a bar stocked with different sauces, so that you can season your sandwich your own way.

The potato salad was great. That was a relief; bad potato salad can be really bad. The house salad was also very good, but huge – a good deal for $5, but too big even split between two people on top of sandwiches. However, the onion pieces were way too big; I don’t mind onion in my salad, but I want a bite of food to have more than onion in it.

The atmosphere was nice, though since I’m not a football fan, I was getting a bit tired of watching 20-year-old football games everywhere I went. That could have been a function of the week, though; we were just days away from the Super Bowl.

Rating
Get it while you can
Chris is a bit worried about the place closing down. There are never many people there when he goes, he says, and the two-for-one deal seems pretty drastic. Of course, it’s as much a takeout place as it is a dine-in restaurant – maybe even more so.

Either way, the food is excellent, so if you’re in Allston, take advantage while it’s still there.

The rest of the Internet
Dining Out Boston seems to agree with me -- and now I want to try those macaroni bites.
Good reviews at Yelp.
The restaurant now hosts the Exploit Boston Game Night.
Mike at The Food Monkey loved the restaurant and hosted a podcast with the owner and pit boss -- and there's a recipe!
A southerner was impressed at Open Guide to Boston.

Email this post

Post a Comment

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster