The Guvernment  

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Guvernment
132 Queens Quay East
Toronto, ON
M5A 3Y5

You should know
On our trip to Canada, we decided to check out the nightlife of Toronto.

Chris is not much for clubs. Neither am I, but I do like dressing up and dancing from time to time. Paul likes live music. His girlfriend I don’t know as well as I’d like, but she seemed excited to go to the clubs.

So?
Guvernment seemed like a good choice for our group, because there are seven rooms, each with a different DJ spinning different music. Over the course of the evening, we’d eventually find something we liked, right?

Unfortunately, most of the rooms were closed for private parties. Only two rooms were open, the main room with techno music blaring, and a smaller bar/lounge was playing a mix of techno and hip-hop. Not much a variety, and not really to my taste. However, if the music had been a little different, the lounge would have been really nice. The couches were great.

The place stank of smoke, and it wasn’t all tobacco. However, it was Smirnoff Fire (apparently, you have to be Canadian to enter the site) night, and they gave out samples – which tasted pretty good. Also, in honor of the event, there were fire dancers performing. That was incredible.

I had a Long Island Iced Tea. At least, that’s what it was supposed to be. Not only was it incredibly weak (and I mean weak for a normal drink, not even for a Long Island), it tasted like a mix of Coke and sour mix.

Ultimately, Paul and his girl enjoyed it, but Chris and I didn’t think it was worth the price of the cover.

Rating
Is it your scene?
If it is, go. A lot of the things I didn’t like are typical of clubs; the only reason we went was the promise of variety if we didn’t like a particular room. But if you do go – especially if you’re iffy about the whole club thing, like we were – make sure ahead of time that all the rooms are open. I’m sure that makes a huge difference.

The rest of the Internet
The club's other website.
The Wikipedia entry.
Several videos taken at the club are up on YouTube (and I haven't watched them all, so I can't vouch for Safe-For-Work-ness).

Email this post

Post a Comment

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster