Sonic  

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

1525 Street Road
Bensalem, PA

You should know

So I had to run errands, and Brian wanted to try out Sonic.  So we made an afternoon of it.  I picked up some wedding-related trinkets, and then we got there

I'll be honest.  I was skeptical going in.  Most of what I'd heard about Sonic prior had to do with their beverages.  And I don't see the point of driving for nearly an hour and eating a mediocre burger just for the privilege of drink a half-gallon of Windex over ice.  But by the time we got there, I really wanted a hamburger.   

So?

So we pull into our spot, and from the passenger side I can barely read anything on the menu.  Several items are in small print.  If I lean over a lot, it improves things, but then my head is nearly in Brian's lap and there are so many things wrong with that

So I order a Sonic Burger ($3.09 without cheese).  They ask me, do I want ketchup, mustard, mayo, or all three?  None, I answer.  "Oh, so you want it plain?"  Yes, please

Turns out, "plain" does not mean "no condiments".  It means "just meat on bread."  They tricked me into ordering wrong.  Later, Chris said I should have sent it back, but the thing is, they gave me what I ordered.  I just ordered wrong thanks to their misleading "clarification."

My burger was good, but it really needed lettuce and tomato.  And pickles and onion.  Bah.  It came with French fries, which were good but nothing special, and unsweetened iced tea, which was actually pretty nice.

Brian got the SuperSONIC Cheeseburger ($5.49 with cheese).  He ordered his with ketchup -- and didn't mention the vegetable fixings any more than I did. Still, his came with at least lettuce and tomato, which he offered me, but they were completely soaked in ketchup, kind of defeating the purpose.  He also got the fries, and a sweet tea with no ice.  You could tell the tea has been brewed recently, because his was still warm.  Ew, but that's why you get ice.  He was satisfied.  They also managed to up-sell him -- he got a Reese's Jr. Candy Sunday for a dollar.

We then ordered dessert -- more Reese's for him in the form of a Reese's Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups SONIC Blast ($2.79, if we recall correctly), and for me, a Real Fruit Strawberry Slush ($1.79).  You could easily taste that there was more corn syrup in there than Real Fruit, but the berry chunks were a decent size.  Had I not been so frustrated with my burger, I would have had no complaints about my dessert. 

Rating

Largely overrated
 I've heard amazing things about this place, and they simply do not live up tot he hype.  Now, if you live near one, go for it, but if you're like me and have to make going to Sonic a major outing, save yourself some time and find a Checkers, or better yet, a Five Guys

The rest of the Internet

Sonic and DonorsChoose present: Limeades for Learning.
Scouting Santee presents the All American Burger Challenge: Sonic vs. In-And-Out Burger.
The Wikipedia page.
Kimmie G. at It's All About... gives high praise to the chain.
Katie at The Chandler Family has problems with Sonic getting her order right, too.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Email this post

Post a Comment

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster